Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ)
At Urban Kings, we are proud of our Brazilian Jiu Jitsu credentials – we offer classes for all skill levels from beginner to enthusiast or professional. If you are interested in learning BJJ from scratch or want to keep your proficiency at a high level, we’ve got something to offer you.
About Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Classes
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) is a martial art, combat sport, and a self defence system that focuses on grappling and especially ground fighting. The art was derived from the Japanese martial art of Kodokan judo in the early 20th century. Urban Kings offer Brazilian Jiu Jitsu classes at our specialist MMA gym in King’s Cross, London.
It teaches that a smaller, weaker person can successfully defend against a bigger, stronger assailant by using leverage and proper technique—most notably by applying joint-locks and chokeholds to defeat the other person. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu training can be used for sport grappling tournaments (gi and no-gi) and mixed martial arts (MMA) competition or self defence. Sparring (commonly referred to as ‘rolling’) and live drilling play a major role in training, and a premium is placed on performance, especially in competition, in relation to progress and ascension through the grades/belts.
What it takes
What to Expect
A typical Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu class is usually 90 minutes long and begins with a light warm up followed by stretching. The students are then paired up and given the opportunity to practice the techniques and positions while the instructor supervises.
Full Contact BJJ
Toward the end of the class, the students will ‘spar’ or wrestle with each other to utilize the techniques learned.
About the Trainer
In 2005, a new era is dawned in the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu scene in the United Kingdom with Mauricio Gomes awarding Jude Samuel his Black Belt after almost 7 years under his tutelage.
- 1999: UK BJJ Open: Middleweight Gold
- 1999: UK BJJ Open: Most Technical Fighter award.
- 2002: Gracie Barra Open: Middleweight Gold
- 2002: Belgium Open: Middleweight Gold
- 2002: Belgium Open: Absolute Gold
- 2002: Belgium Open: Technical Fighter award.
- 2002: UK Ground Fighting Tournament: Middleweight Gold & Absolute Gold
- 2003: IBJJF Pan American Championships: Middle-Heavyweight Bronze
- 2004: IBJJF Europeans: Middleweight Bronze
- 2004: IBJJF Europeans: Team Competition Silver
- 2004: Gracie Invitational at SENI – Middle-Heavyweight Gold
- 2005: IBJJF Europeans: Middle-Heavyweight Bronze
- 2005: IBJJF Europeans: Absolute Silver
- 2006: IBJJF Europeans: Middle weight Gold
- 2006: IBJJF Europeans: Absolute Silver
- 2009: IBJJF Europeans: Middle weight Gold
- 2009: IBJJF Europeans: Absolute Silver
An immensely popular fighter with UK fans, regularly featured in a variety of MMA magazines and websites, Ashleigh has been in the MMA spot light for over 10 years., combining teaching in the last 4 years.
Ranked No. 4 in the UK featherweight rankings and current UCMMA FW Champion, Ashleigh holds significant victories over UFC veterans Vaughan Lee, Phil Harris and David Lee.
- BJJ Black Belt under Jude Samuel
- Judo brown belt
- Former Cage Gladiators Champion (Show ended)
- Former OMMAC Champion
- Current UCMMA FW Champion
- British Open BJJ silver medal winner
- Medway Submission Championship Gold Medal winner
- MMA record 19 wins 10 losses 1 draw (With 10 TKO’s and 4 Submission wins)
Max Bickerton arrived at Urban Kings as a purple belt under Braulio Estima, one of the most high profile BJJ competitors in the world.
Max’s jiu jitsu went from strength to strength as a part of the Inglørious Grapplers team here at Urban Kings, under the watchful eye of head coach Jude Samuel. In early 2017, Jude awarded Max his brown belt.
- BJJ Brown Belt
- Pan American No Gi Silver medalist
- British Open Champion
- European No Gi: 2017: Silver, 2018: Bronze in division and Bronze in absolute
- IBJJF London Open No Gi absolute champion
- Total of 24 medals including 9 gold in first year as a brown belt.